About This Excursion
Soak up the beauty and serenity of Denali during this wonderful half-day fly-fishing expedition to a small, winding stream that’s home to the Arctic Grayling, the sailfish of the north. After a lovely drive from your hotel to the banks of the Jack River, gear up with lightweight fly-fishing gear, which will be provided. Head off with your expert guide and a maximum of two other fishermen for a personalized fly-fishing experience on one of the nearby streams. If you’re new to the sport, learn the fundamentals from your guide, a dedicated fly-fisherman whose passion for the sport is contagious. Listen as he teaches the basics of fly-casting, roll casting, how to match the hatch, the best way to land fish and helpful catch and release techniques. During this detailed lesson, practice casting your line before going streamside.
Once you’re ready, cast your nearly weightless artificial lure for the Artic grayling, a species of freshwater fish that’s part of the salmon family. Bountiful in this area, these ravenous surface feeders are thrilling to catch on the fly whether it’s your first time with a rod or you’re a seasoned angler. While waiting for a bite, take a moment to relax and breathe in the crisp, clean mountain air. Let the spirit of this tranquil place wash over you as you regard the unbridled beauty of the Alaskan wilderness. Take in the vast skyline layered with mountains in different shades of gray and blue, the evergreen trees stretching toward the sun and the mesmerizing reflections on the surface of the water. Stand on the riverbank or wade in to the shallow water while awaiting your bounty. Once you have a bite, some moving along the uneven, rocky riverbed may be necessary. With the help of the guide, practice the catch-and-release methods learned earlier and, when you’re ready, return to the pleasure of what’s been called ”’the contemplative man’s sport”’ and enjoy this unique opportunity to feel at peace with nature in the heart of the Alaska Range.
Duration: 4 Hours 30 Minutes
- Minimum age is 12.
- All participants need to be in good physical condition and able to walk or stand for three hours.
- This is a catch-and-release excursion.
- Season runs May 15 – September 1
- Please bring $25 cash for your one day Alaska fishing license. Licenses are available for purchase through your tour guide.
- Dress in layers and be prepared for any weather. Bring extra pair of socks, a brimmed hat, sunglasses, raingear, and a waterbottle.
- This is a moderately strenuous activity, participants should be able to walk up to 1 mile and stand/walk/wade for up to 3 hours.
- This excursion operates in ALL weather conditions and will not be cancelled due to weather.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- All fishing gear, flies, rain jackets and hip waders are included.
- Duration includes 2.5 hours on the water and roundtrip transfers.