About This Excursion
Travel in the style of Native Alaskans and explore the spectacular coastal waterways and Mendenhall wetlands by kayak.
This glorious excursion along Juneau’s coast begins with a short drive by bus to North Douglas Island, where you will enjoy scenic views of the Mendenhall Glacier and Juneau ice field the other side of Gastineau Channel.
Upon arrival your experienced, friendly guide will help you with life jackets and rain gear before teaching you kayaking techniques. Then you will board the two-person kayaks, with either a new friend or traveling companion, for your Alaska nature adventure.
This breathtaking trip is designed to give you a sense of how the famed Aleut Indians traveled the coastal waterways of Alaska, in search of pelts for the Russian fur trading companies. The stable yet nimble kayaks will allow you to silently approach any wildlife in the area, including porpoise, seals, sea lions, eagles, herons, or even whales.
You will also explore the Mendenhall Wetlands where you may have the opportunity to view the spectacular Mendenhall Glacier from an ocean explorer’s point of view. This view of the glacier is from about 6 miles away, so you’ll see how the massive river of ice winds up through the mountain peaks for miles.
This beautiful view cannot be seen from the glacier lake, but only from this vantage point several miles away. It’s truly one of the best views of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau (cannot be seen on an extremely overcast or foggy day). Along the way your guide will entertain you with stories about Smugglers Cove, the history of the surrounding area, and point out any local flora and fauna.
This kayak trip is perfect for all levels of experience. Your experienced guide and safety boat captain will ensure that your experience is safe, yet fun. Your guides will group you into like abilities, so that you can travel at a comfortable pace for you. If you’ve never paddled before, don’t worry! Your experienced guide will take complete care to make sure you are comfortable.
Back at the kayak base, you will enjoy a tasty Alaska style snack before the bus journey back to the pier.
CHILD: $89.00 (12 Years & Younger)
Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
- We recommend guests to wear warm comfortable layers and bring gloves and an extra pair of socks.
- No prior experience necessary.
- Children must weigh at least 40 pounds to fit into required life jackets.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Children ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- Round-trip transfer from the pier
- 1.75 hours on the water
- Raingear & lifejackets
- Snack consisting of reindeer sausage, cheese, crackers, salmon spread and water
- Complimentary souvenir button
- T-shirts are available for purchase at the conclusion of the tour