About This Excursion
Catch “gold fever” and experience what it was like to seek your fortune during Gold Rush days! Learn to pan for gold and discover Juneau’s colorful mining heritage for yourself. Head out with your costumed prospector guide for a historical tour of Juneau including the state capitol. Then, turn up the road to Gold Creek and “Last Chance Basin”, where Joe Juneau and Richard Harris struck gold in 1880—and where local Juneau residents still find gold today.
In a beautiful, secluded setting alongside Gold Creek — only accessible to groups under our tour’s special permit — your prospector will demonstrate how gold panning is done. Then, it’s your turn, as you learn how to expertly work the pan with helpful tips and advice. You can choose to pan in the creek, in a waist-high trough, or in a barrel while seated. Everyone of all ages and those with limited mobility can learn how to pan and capture the full gold-rush experience. You’re guaranteed to find gold! Take home a souvenir Gold Claim Certificate and all the gold you find!
Gold-panning is hungry work so you’re sure to have an appetite for what’s up next on your Juneau adventure. Featured on Bravo Television’s Top Chef, Gold Creek Salmon Bake is an event that’s been grilled to perfection for 38 years. After a 20-minute scenic transfer, find yourself in a truly unique, lush rainforest environment under heated, translucent domes. Savor the aroma of wild Alaska salmon, grilling over a fragrant alder wood fire—the signature entrée of an all-you-can-eat adventure. The sumptuous spread has something for everyone. Choose from our signature grilled Alaskan salmon or Cheechako Chicken and enjoy a variety of Alaskan sides, and blueberry cake for dessert.
Relax listening to live folk music or take a short stroll along a natural salmon-spawning creek to the entrance of the Wagner Mine at beautiful Salmon Creek Falls where you can pan for gold, see mining relics, and look for salmon. Have fun roasting marshmallows over a campfire and taking photos at our interactive, gold rush mural. The food, entertainment, activities, and ambiance make Gold Creek Salmon Bake an Alaskan experience that is much more than a meal. Shuttle buses run regularly, so your visit can last as long as you like. Don’t return until your tastes have been satisfied and you’re filled with great memories!!
Child Price: $75.00 (Age 12 & Younger)
Duration: 3 Hours
- Dress comfortable in warm layers and bring raingear in inclement weather.
- Suitable for all ages and no prior experience necessary.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Youth ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- This tour is not suitable for guests confined to wheelchairs due to the uneven terrain at Last Chance Basin.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- Escorted tour by guide from the dock; van transfer to Gold Creek.
- Rain ponchos if necessary during gold panning
- A souvenir gold claim deed
- All you can eat Salmon Bake
- Return transfer to the dock