About This Excursion
Be among the select few, under a limited U.S. Forest Service permit, to travel by canoe for an unprecedented experience near the face of the majestic Mendenhall Glacier.
Paddle across Mendenhall Lake, navigating past icebergs, surrounded by one of the richest samplings of Alaskan wildlife you’ll find anywhere. Birds including arctic terns nest on the shoreline, and eagles, goats, salmon and bears may be seen. Then, venture within a safe distance of the massive, awe-inspiring face of the living Mendenhall Glacier. Grab a thrill ride by skirting the base of beautiful and powerful Nugget Falls where you will head ashore to refuel with a snack of Alaskan-style fare for the return.
You’ll make your trip in a traditional Tlingit-style canoe, an exceptionally stable 28-foot watercraft, with all modern safety gear supplied. Because of the close approach to the glacier face, the Forest Service tightly controls the number of participants. Be one of the lucky few to experience this one-of-a-kind adventure.
CHILD: $139.00 (12 Years & Younger)
Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
- We recommend guests to wear warm comfortable layers and bring gloves and an extra pair of socks.
- Moderate to good physical condition is necessary for participation in this excursion.
- Children must weigh at least 40 pounds in order to fit into required life jackets.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Children ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- Round-trip transfer from the pier
- Traditional Tlingit-style canoe, puts you within yards of the face of the Mendenhall Glacier
- Expert guides narrate on the natural and cultural history of the Mendenhall Glacier area
- Quality raingear, overboots and life jackets
- Snack includes hot beverage (on cold days) and water plus reindeer sausage, salmon spread and crackers.