About This Excursion
The adventure begins with a scenic motorcoach tour to a secluded mountain lake, where you will board Indian-style 37-foot, 20 passenger canoes which are fast, stable, and easy to manoeuvre. Paddle under the direction of an experienced guide, scan the shore for wildlife and learn the unique natural and Indian history of the Ketchikan area. The lake, part of a lush rainforest, is ideal for canoeing and is surrounded by the Tongass, the largest National Forest in the United States.
Stop ashore for a native-style snack including smoked fish, clam chowder, and rolls with wild berry jams and beverages. A knowledgeable guide will lead a short nature walk highlighting the flora and fauna of the rain forest, including a carnivorous plant, the Sundew, which uses tentacles with an adhesive “dew” to ensnare small insects. Paddle back to the canoe dock and reboard your motorcoach that returns to the cruise ship pier.
This adventure is a rare opportunity to comfortably explore Southeast Alaska in the manner of its original explorers and early culture.
Child Price: $95.00 (12 Years & Younger)
Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
- Suitable for all ages and no prior experience necessary, just good health and an adventurous spirit.
- Children 12 and under to be accompanied by an adult.
- Youth ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- Children must weigh at least 40 pounds in order to fit into required life jackets.
- Operates in all weather conditions.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- Round trip transfer from the dock to the mountain lake.
- 2 hours canoeing, which includes the nature walk; snack and beverages consisting of clam chowder, rolls, jam, smoked salmon, crackers, mints, juice, hot chocolate, coffee and water; and a souvenir”.
- All participants are provided with raingear and life jackets.
- Souvenir T-shirts are available for purchase.