About This Excursion
This delightful tour will give you the rare opportunity to commune with nature in the breathtaking setting of the Ketchikan rainforest.
Your rustic adventure starts with a scenic coastal drive to Herring Cove, where a naturalist will guide you along improved trails to experience first-hand the splendor of the forest and a multitude of plants in the lush rainforest. Wandering through tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaskan cedar, you will be encouraged to stop at viewing platforms to photograph this natural wonderland.
Your guide will then lead you along the trail to an elevated boardwalk overlooking Eagle Creek where, during spawning season, the salmon runs attract eagles, bears, seals and shorebirds. Mink and marten also frequent the area. Due to seasonal changes, animal sightings cannot be guaranteed but you will have plenty of time to peacefully drink in the landscape while enjoying nature’s symphony in this spectacular setting.
Afterwards, you will visit the Herring Bay Lumber Company sawmill and observe an Alaskan master carver working with totem poles, before photographing bald eagles up close at the Alaska Raptor Center’s exhibit. There will then be plenty of time for you to browse the General Store and enjoy a snack before the ride back to town.
Child Rate: $65.00 (12 Years & Younger)
Duration: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
- Wildlife sightings are common but not guaranteed.
- Participants should be able to cover 1 mile of terrain.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm clothing.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.
- Rain ponchos provided if needed.
- Maximum size of group up to 32
- Unaccompanied Minor Policy: Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Wheelchair Access Notes -– Entire site is wheelchair accessible though it helps to have someone assist on the trail. Need 48 hours notice to arrange ADA equipped bus.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- View Bald Eagles and learn their history.
- Interact with and feed Alaskan Reindeer.
- Watch an Alaskan totem carver at work.
- Sample Alaska smoked salmon dip, crackers, coffee, tea, hot chocolate
- Discover unique items in the General Store.