About This Excursion
Did you know that “SUP” (Stand Up Paddleboarding) is the fastest growing water sport? Not only is it fun for all ages, but it’s also a sport that almost everyone can do! Whether you are new to open ocean paddling or looking to freshen up your SUP skills, What’SUP Alaska is your choice in Ketchikan. We provide very high quality boards and gear. In addition, all of our guides are SUP certified which includes water rescue certification.
The excitement begins as you board a van at the pier for the short drive to the What’SUP Alaska dock in historic Ward Cove, the site of Alaska’s first pulp mill. Once you arrive, you’ll meet the team and gear up. We start by having a Paddleboard 101 lesson on the dock. Then we head into the Ocean on our Stand-Up Paddleboards to enjoy the shoreline of the amazing Tongass National Forest.
Enjoy your surroundings – you may see an eagle soaring overhead, harbor seals swimming close by, and colorful starfish and sea urchins along the shoreline. Occasionally, you might even spot a humpback whale in the distance.
Once you have paddled for about a mile you will get the chance to relax and have some water fun. While enjoying an amazing view of the Tongass Narrow Islands, your guide will have water and a snack for you. Jump in the cool ocean water or just lay down on your board and breath the fresh Alaskan air. After this break we will head back to the dock. Upon arrival at the dock, enjoy a hot drink. Your tour will end with transportation back downtown to your cruise ship dock.
A truly, unique experience awaits you!
Duration: 3 Hours
- We recommend you bring a swimsuit and towel. Wetsuits and water socks will be provided. Bring dry clothes to change into afterwards.
- Paddle board experience is not required, however, a level of physical fitness and balance is recommended.
- 300 lb. maximum weight limit.
- 16 yrs. old is the minimum age. (Feel free to contact us if you have a member of your group that doesn’t meet the age requirement, but you feel they are capable of paddle boarding.)
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- During the tour your guide will provide you with bottled water and a snack. Upon returning to the dock hot coffee, hot chocolate, and tea will be provided.