About This Excursion
Begin in Skagway as we drive 10 scenic coastal miles to the head of the Chilkoot Trail in Dyea, an abandoned Gold Rush town, now National Park. On your hike you will retrace the steps of the Gold Rush stampeders on the famous Chilkoot Trail, hiking the first 2 miles through a green moss-covered northern temperate rainforest. You will learn lots of gold rush and natural history and have time for taking photos.
Arrive at the banks of the Taiya River, where your 18-foot raft awaits for the scenic float. Suit up in lifejackets, rubber boots and rain poncho if needed. Watch for eagles and their nests along the peaceful journey down river surrounded by snow-capped peaks. After, enjoy a light riverside snack before returning by van on the 30-minute drive to Skagway.
This is an ACTIVE tour and the hike is moderately strenuous over uneven, hilly terrain (elevation gain is 300 feet) for the first mile, then on mostly flat ground for the remainder.
Please be in good physical condition and wear sturdy walking shoes with good traction. If you have knee, ankle, back, balance or other health issues, please consider your participation in this tour. There is an alternate easier walk in place of the Chilkoot Trail hike available and you can meet up for the float portion. Please advise when booking if you may need this service. Our guides will strongly advise you to do this alternate route if they feel your participation in the Chilkoot trail hike to be too strenuous for your ability level.
NOTE: Current blackout (sold out) dates for this season are May 13, May 18, June 16, June 30, July 4 (9:45AM departure only), July 6, July 7, July 20, July 28, August 10, August 11, August 17th, August 18.
Child Price: $99.00 (12 Years & Younger)
Duration: 4 Hours – 4 Hours 30 Minutes
- Tour runs from April 29 – September 20
- Minimum age of 5 years.
- Guests under 18 require a signature of consent of a parent or legal guardian
- Maximum 11 guests per group/raft. If you have a larger group you will be divided into separate groups.
- Pick up from the cruise ship pier
- This is an ACTIVE tour.
- Hike is moderately strenuous over uneven, hilly terrain (elevation gain is 300 feet)for the first mile, then on mostly flat ground for the remainder
- Please be in good physical condition and wear sturdy walking shoes with good traction.
- Tour operates in rainy weather. Please wear a raincoat for hike if needed. Large ponchos are provided for raft portion if needed. Dressing in layers is advised.
- A full refund is available if bookings are cancelled 15 days or more before the start of the transfer or tour. There is no refund if bookings are cancelled 14 days or less before the start of the transfer or tour.
- Narrated and scenic ride to Dyea
- 1.5 – 2 Hour Hike on the Chilkoot Trail
- 30-45 minute float trip
- Services of an experienced guide
- Potential wildlife viewing and great scenic photo opportunities!